Go No 12 Implementation of One Full Meal Programme for ICDS beneficiaries in Telangana
Department for Women, Children, Disabled & Senior Citizens – Supplementary Nutrition Programme (SNP) under Integrated Child Development Scheme (ICDS) – Implementation of One Full Meal Programme for ICDS beneficiaries – Revised Orders – Issued.
Implementation of One Full Meal Programme for ICDS beneficiaries
1.Government while reviewing the Integrated Child Development Scheme has found certain deficiencies in its implementation as a result of which the desired goals of improvement of the nutritional status of women and children in the state have not been fully achieved. Thus the percentage of low birth weight babies, underweight children and pregnant women who are anemic is still high leading to a high incidence of infant Mortality Rate (IMR) and Maternal Mortality Rate (MMR).
2. A review of the existing scheme in this regard reveals that at present One full meal is being given to Pregnant and Lactating mothers in only 19,952 Anganwadi Centres out of 35,973 Anganwadi Centres located in the State. The present scheme is serving only 56% of the AWCs in the State. Further, milk and eggs are being supplied for only 25 days in a month. Hence there is a need to modify the nutrition programme of ICDS to address challenges in early stages of life itself by adopting a targeted approach. Targeting Pregnant and Lactating women (i.e. mothers) and meeting their nutritional needs is one of the critical windows of opportunity to prevent malnutrition. Hence Government have taken a decision to implement the One Full Meal Programme for all pregnant and lactating women and children for 30 days in all AWCs.
3. In the reference 12th read above, the Director, Women Development and Child Welfare has submitted a detailed proposal to implement the One Full Meal Programme for all pregnant and lactating women and children for 30 days in all AWCs.
4. Government after careful examination and consideration of the proposal of the Director, WD & CW hereby decide to implement revised and new feeding norms of One Full Meal Programme for all Pregnant and Lactating Mothers with 200 ml Milk and One egg for 30 days in all ICDS Projects and provide eggs for 30 days in a month for all children from 7 months to 6 years of age in all Anganwadi centers by bridging the gaps in the existing schemes as follows:-
- To extend “One Full Meal” to all Pregnant & Lactating Women in the remaining uncovered 68 ICDS Projects covering 16,021 Anganwadi Centres.
- To extend Milk & Egg from 25 days per month to 30 days per month in the present “One full Meal” programme implemented in all (149) ICDS projects covering all (35,973) Anganwadi Centres.
- The Government has decided to scale up the programme by providing 30 eggs per month instead of 8 eggs per month to the Children in the age group of 7 Months to 3 Years and for providing 30 eggs instead of 16 eggs in a month to the Children in the age group of 3 - 6 Years, in 35,973 Anganwadi Centres in 149 Projects.
- An honorarium for Rs.250/- per month is additionally provided to Anganwadi helpers for implementation of One full Meal programme, in the newly covered 68 ICDS Projects covering 16,021 Anganwadi Centres.
5. Introduction of such a programme will have the following impact:
- Enhance the quality of meals to the mothers.
- Ensure food supplied is consumed by only the mothers rather than the whole family.
- Ensure that Pregnant Women consume 100 IFA tablets throughout the pregnancy period as the IFA tablets will be given along with the one full meal.
- Improve the enrollment of mothers at Anganwadi Centers.
- Reduce the incidence of anemic and malnutrition in pregnant and Lactating mothers.
- Reduce the incidence of low birth babies and malnutrition among children.
- Ensure that mothers receive health checkups and immunization.
- Reduce the incidence of infant mortality and maternal mortality.
The requirement of Additional Budget to implement the said programme is as follows:
Additional amount required to extend “One
Full Meal” to all Pregnant & Lactating
Women Beneficiaries in the uncovered 68
ICDS Projects for a period of 4 months (i.e. December, 2014 to March, 2015)
Additional amount required to extend Milk & Eggs from 25 days per month to 30 days per
month in the “One full Meal” programme to Pregnant & Lactating Women for a period of 4 months (i.e. December, 2014 to March, 2015).
Additional amount required to scale up the programme of providing eggs for 30 days to
children in Anganwadi Centres for a period of
4 months (i.e. December, 2014 to March,
Additional amount required for honorarium of
Rs.250/- per month to be additionally
provided to Anganwadi helpers for implementation of One full meal programme for a period of 4 months (i.e. December, 2014 to March, 2015).
6. Thus the total additional budget required for implementation of the above measures works out to Rs.94,82,95,872/- for a period of 4 Months (i.e. 1st December’14 – 31st March’15). Government after careful consideration hereby sanction an amount of Rs.94,82,95,872/- (Rupees Ninety Four Crores Eighty Two Lakhs Ninety Five Thousand and Eight Hundred and Seventy Two Only) for implementation of the One full Meal programme in all the ICDS Projects. This amount can be utilized from the available budget allocations of the Department of WD & CW for the year 2014-15.
7. Considering the importance of the scheme and the commitment of the State to protect the life of every mother & child in the State, the Director, WD & CW is directed to evolve & design the implementation of the scheme in a transparent manner and as an entitlement based scheme by creating awareness among the beneficiaries and with the necessary oversight mechanism, so as to ensure that the benefits reach the intended beneficiaries without any leakages or wastage.
8. Any negligence, misuse, diversion and interruption of the “One Full Meal” programme to the target group will be viewed seriously and will entail stringent action against the concerned.
9. These orders shall come into force from 01.12.2014.
10. This order is issued with the concurrence of Finance Department vide their U.O.No.6523/135/A2/EBS-III/2014, Dated:20-11-2014.
Important Feature Posts Details
Go No 12 Implementation of One Full Meal Programme for ICDS beneficiaries in Telangana Reviewed by Tteachers on Thursday, August 07, 2014 Rating: